Our Top 5 Horse Rugs for Winter!
When choosing which rug best suits our horses there are numerous factors we must consider.
These include:Size: How do we know what size rug to buy for our horse? To ensure you buy a correctly fitting rug for your horse it is best to take measurements. To take an accurate measurement it is easiest done with a flexible measuring tape.
- To start, stand your horse as square as possible for an accurate measurement
- Place the tape at the centre of the horses chest approximately where the top buckle of the rug would normally sit
- Holding the tape measure in place at the chest, run it along the horses body until you reach the furthest point of the rump
- If your horse’s length falls on a rug size not offered then simply round up to the nearest.
- No Fill: Provides protection from wind/rain without added warmth
- Lightweight: 100-150 Gram fill
- Mediumweight: 150-250 Gram fill
- Heavyweight: 250-450 Gram fill
- Light strength: 420D
- Medium Strength: 600D
- Heavy Strength: 1200D
Considering this, here are 5 must have rugs this winter:
1. Mackey Keadeen Turnout Rug in Plum: A mediumweight 250 Gram fill rug with a 600 denier ripstop outer. Available in sizes 4’9” to 7’0”. Retailing at €79.00. This rug is ideal for horses with natural coats, especially on a cold winter’s morning to add a little extra warmth.
2. Busse Light Turnout Rug: This lightweight turnout rug has a 100 Gram fill with a 600D polyester outer. Available in sizes 5’9” to 7’3”. Retailing at €69.00. This rug is ideal all year round, for your clipped horses on a mild winter’s morning while also suited to our typical ‘Irish Summer’ to protect from the wind and rain.
3. Weatherbeeta Comfitec Premiere Trio turnout rug with removeable liner: A rug for every season. This rug is super strong with a 1200D triple weave outer and 100 Gram fill. This rug also comes complete with a 200 Gram removable liner and a 100 gram fill detachable neck. Available in sizes 5’9” to 6’9”. Retailing at €219.00. You can have you 300 Gram fill, 1200D heavyweight rug with detachable neck for winter or lightweight 100 Gram fill, 1200D ideal for the warmer months.
4. Mackey Lugnaquilla Plus Heavy Turnout Rug: This heavyweight rug has a 360 Gram fill with a 1680D (extra heavy strength) ballistic outer. This rug also has a full neck ensuring your horse is kept dry on rainy days. Available in sizes 5’6” to 7’0”. Retailing at €149.00. A heavyweight rug of this type is suitable for very cold days during the winter months.
5. Horseware Amigo Bravo 12 Heavy Turnout Rug: A strong 1200D polyester waterproof and breathable rug with fibrefill. A classic cut design, this rug is available in sizes 5’6” to 6’9”. Retailing at €199.00. This rug although there is no neck is well equipped to ensure your horse remains warm and dry on those cold rainy days.